Armed and Security Forces Program Assistant
Who are we?
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavors to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
About the Job
The armed and security forces (FAS) program assistant supports the implementation of the FAS IHL (International humanitarian law) program for the AZ Armed Forces.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides advice on cultivating relations with AZ Armed Forces (AZAF) units/institutions to the relevant departments of the Baku Delegation in coordination with the FAS Delegate.
- Actively contributes to the development of the annual FAS Programme following the Delegation’s annual plan of action.
- Support conducting FAS training programs on IHL for AZ Armed Forces members in Azerbaijan under the supervision of the FAS Delegate.
- Support the development, translation, and production of IHL publications for the AZ Armed Forces, as required.
- Develops and maintains a network of interlocutors throughout AZ Armed Forces in Azerbaijan at unit and HQ levels.
- Follows developments in MoD educational institutions (IHL-related courses, curricula, etc.)
- Actively participating in meetings and providing inputs on FAS-related issues
- Produces independently in-depth written analysis of dynamics within the AZAF, in support of the ICRC Baku Delegation.
- Ensures timely distribution of IHL publications to AZAF interlocutors.
- Maintains statistics for IHL courses and presentations conducted including numbers of personnel attending and names, as appropriate.
- Prepares, shares, and files documents concerning the FAS program and contributes to institutional reports as requested.
- Manage the FAS office and maintain an adequate stock of FAS training materials for use during courses and presentations.
- Be aware of the available budget for FAS activities and follow up actively on administrative and budget issues with his hierarchy.
- Responsible for administrative arrangements for the implementation of the FAS program per financial rules and internal procedures.
Knowledge of the ICRC and Situational Awareness
- Ensure accurate and up-to-date knowledge is maintained of ICRC activities in the BAK area of responsibility.
- Contribute to the analysis of the security, socio-economic, cultural, and political environment relevant to the ICRC, and share relevant information with other Departments.
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work;
- Able to work under pressure and fit for travel;
- Former mid to senior-level military officer with the minimum rank of Major and 10 years of professional experience;
- Strong operational experience covering design and implementation of military operations, preferably at Brigade level and above;
- Experience in an operational or strategic level HQ is appreciated;
- Military Staff College diploma is preferable;
- Strong networking skills and the ability to engage and persuade decision-makers from the tactical to the strategic level to act in the interests of affected people;
- Excellent knowledge and fluency in spoken and written English and Azerbaijani. Fluency in spoken and written Russian is a strong advantage.
- Very good analytical skills.
- Computer proficiency specifically MS Excel.
What we offer
- A dynamic and challenging work setting in the humanitarian environment;
- Training and development opportunities;
- A competitive salary plus benefits based on the ICRC Compensation and Benefits framework.
How to applyYou are welcome to send your CV